Fiery crash kills 1, closes Colfax in Golden | News
GOLDEN, Colo. — A head-on crash between two pickup trucks killed one person and shut down W. Colfax Ave. Wednesday night in Golden.
Both vehicles caught fire following the collision on Colfax between W. 6th Ave. and Nile Ct. It happened at about 7:20 p.m.
Golden Fire Department spokeswoman Karlyn Tilley says a white pickup was traveling eastbound in the westbound lanes of Colfax when it crashed into another pickup that had a camper shell on it.
A father and son were in the Toyota Tundra with the camper shell. The son went to the hospital for treatment. He was expected to be okay. His father was not hurt.
The driver in the white pickup, a Chevy S10, was killed.
Emergency personnel on the scene say the driver became trapped in the vehicle.
Tilley says it’s unusual for vehicles to catch fire following a collison, even in a head-on crash. She says the circumstances were just right this time for both vehicles to explode on impact.
Upcoming Events near Golden
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lakewood police look for suspect in cloned credit card incidents
- Lakewood police search for suspect in Capitol One credit card fraud
- Man formally charged in two separate hit-and-run crashes
- Habanero peppers blamed for scare at Jefferson County Open School
- Police arrest son of victim in Lakewood homicide investigation